"Capacity Building for Integrated Watershed Management in Eastern Africa"
- - - expired project of University Siegen - - -
- - Management was by Stefan Thiemann - -
International University Cooperation Project for Capacity Building, Research and Knowledge Sharing
University Siegen, Arba Minch University, Kenyatta University, University of Dar es Salaam, Makerere University, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
October 2007 - December 2009 (active period of S.Thiemann)
Germany, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda
Volume: 2,1 mio € (1,5 mio € from EU Water Facility, 0,6 mio € own contribution from partners)
- To enhance Water Resources Management on Regulatory and User Level
- To enhance the institutional capacity of East African Universities in Integrated Watershed Management
- To strengthen the management capacity of water resources management authorities (WRMA)
- To strengthen the management capacity of water resources users associations (WRUA)
Networking ‘Integrated Watershed Management’ with Arba Minch University, Kenyatta University, University of Dar es Salaam, Makerere University, and Siegen University by improving academic education (International master study programme on “Integrated Watershed Management” established at Kenyatta University, Nairobi, in co-operation with 5 regional partners starting from A/Y 2005/06). Offering specialised training on IWRM and related issues (coordinated with the master study programme by selecting teaching modules as training courses), and assisting in drafting and executing sub-catchment management plans (through participatory summer schools).
Master programme “Integrated Watershed Management” endorsed, wide series of expert seminars and summer school conducted, sub-catchment management plans developed, students and water experts exchanged